The Gannett Co. newspaper in Montgomery, Ala., was forced to make quick and drastic budget cuts last week, editor Wanda Lloyd told Journal-isms on Monday, leaving three interns suddenly without summer jobs. Similar cuts could be coming at other Gannett properties.
The displaced interns were instantly picked up by Schurz Communications, a South Bend, Ind., media company that owns 15 dailies and five weeklies. Charles V. Pittman, the company’s senior vice president-newspapers, had just addressed the interns Friday at the Freedom Forum’s Diversity Institute in Nashville, and said he could not let “these young people have their internship pulled out from under them.”
The three students will be going to the Herald Times in Bloomington, Ind. Schurz is taking a total of 13 interns, all of them trained in a joint multimedia program of Black College Wire and the Diversity Institute.
“I would not have done this if I had any other choice,” Lloyd, editor of the Montgomery Advertiser, told Journal-isms. She said that after a recent meeting of Gannett publishers, she was told by her publisher, Scott Brown, that the newspaper would be asked to take a look at possible cuts for the rest of 2007. She was on vacation last week attending a high-school reunion.
- Mental Floss nominated for National Magazine Award
- SPJ chapter to hold Ethics Poker night
- The only site ever banned from al.com’s state blog list
- Questions on the 1-year anniversary of the Alabama Media Group
- ADVANCE CRISIS: The insanely obsessive guide to the Birmingham News/al.com implosion
- Young Women’s Empowerment Conference wins cash award
- Media of Birmingham, the final phase
- Nick Patterson quietly (shh!) named new editor of Weld
- Whitmire departs Weld, leading to online acrimony from the publisher
- Where to find the story of the day on al.com
- QUIZ: Can You Identify These Famous American Historical Figures?
- QUIZ: Can We Guess Your Education Level Based On The History You Know?
- Quiz: Can We Guess Your Education Level By Your Biblical Knowledge?
- QUIZ: Can You Guess Every One Of These NFL Logos?
- Do You Really Know How Many Children Rapper Future Has (We've Counted 'Em All!)
- An error has occurred; the feed is probably down. Try again later.
What you said
Alynne Douglass on The new look of Cooking Light… » On starting… on Just another one-newspaper… » No links, no… on The only site ever banned from… » Denial of co… on The only site ever banned from… Why Mainstream Print… on Birmingham News, other Advance…
Keywords2009 2010 ABC 33/40 Advance Central Services Alabama Advance Publications advertising al.com alabama Alabama Media Group app award Birmingham Birmingham Business Journal Birmingham Magazine Birmingham News Birmingham Weekly blog Brian Cauble CBS 42 Coastal Living contest Cooking Light Cottage Living downtown editor editorial event Fox 6 freelance Glenny Brock Health Hoffman Media Homewood Huntsville Times intern internship iPhone job job posting Josh Grenon journalism Kyle Whitmire lakeview layoff magazine marketing media Media of Birmingham MOB Mobile Mobile Press-Register networking new media news newspaper public relations publishing radio redmont hotel review social media Society of Professional Journalists Southern Accents Southern Living Southern Progress Corporation Southside SPJ television Time Inc. Twitter Victor Hanson III video web website workshop
Magic City Flickr Group
- RT @mattkmoore: EXC: Details of imminent cuts to BBC News programmes, in move to centralised commissioning model. Announcements expected in… 4 days ago
- RT @MikeAndronico: Hey! We're looking for an editor to cover all things wearables and mobile for Tom's Guide. If you are interested and awe… 1 week ago
- RT @TorontoBruce: Sigh. @themediaisdying towleroad.com/2019/12/out-ad… 3 weeks ago
- Amazon had a busy week while it made more money than sin...here are three shockers! Amazon Primed: Raising Merchant… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 1 month ago
- RT @paul__armstrong: Need some last-minute goodness? The Best Tech & Gadget Gifts Worth Your Money This Year #SundayMorning #SundayMotivati… 1 month ago