First time in 100 years without a Hanson at the helm
The Birmingham News named Pam Siddall as president and publisher today. The Phenix City native spent the last 2 years a publisher of The Wichita (Kan.) Eagle, part of the McClatchy chain.
Siddall, 41, starts Jan. 11, replacing Victor Hanson III, who retired in December. A member of the Hanson family had served as publisher of the daily Advance Publications newspaper since 1909.
Siddall, the News’ first female president and publisher, said in a written statement:
“I am thrilled to be the next publisher at The Birmingham News. … The Birmingham News has an outstanding reputation as the leading source of news, information and commentary — in print and online. I am extremely excited about working with the team to embrace the transformation into a 24/7 multimedia organization.”
She was also the Eagle’s first female publisher. Her last day there is Friday.
Siddall graduated summa cum laude from Columbus State University in Georgia with a bachelor of arts degree in accounting. Her past experience (via her LinkedIn profile):
- President and Publisher, Columbus (Ga.) Ledger-Enquirer, August 2004 – November 2007
- Vice President & General Manager, December 2003 – August 2004
- Vice President, Chief Financial Officer/Circulation, Macon (Ga.) Telegraph, March 2001 – December 2003
- Chief Financial Officer, Columbus Ledger-Enquirer, May 1997 – March 2001
- Division Controller, Russell Corporation, February 1994 – March 1997
- Senior Financial Analyst, WC Bradley, January 1993 – February 1994
- Junior Analyst, May 1991 – January 1993
Photo: Mike Hutmacher/The Wichita (Kan.) Eagle
• • •
Read more Birmingham media updates.
Have a news tip? Let us know!