Sent to us by our friend and MOBster, Dennis Pillion …
Journalism Ethics: A Panel Discussion
Ever wondered how far a journalist will go to get a story? How do news organizations decide what to cover? Should journalists live by rules of how to treat their sources and the public?
Executive editor Hunter George of The Birmingham News and SPJ chapter president Dennis Pillion will make brief opening statements.
Archibald, Ott, Pollone, Roberts
- When: 6:30-9:30 p.m. Tuesday
- Where: The Birmingham News, 2201 Fourth Ave. N., downtown [map]
- Panel: John Archibald, columnist, The Birmingham News; Tanya Ott, news director, WBHM (90.3 FM); Chris Pollone, reporter, NBC 13
- Moderator: Chris Roberts, assistant journalism professor, University of Alabama, and author of a forthcoming book on journalism ethics
- Cost: Free
For more information, e-mail Dennis Pillion at dpillion[at]al.com.
The Society of Professional Journalists’ Green Eyeshade Awards announced its finalists today, including 17 entries from Alabama media outlets, four from Birmingham.
The Birmingham finalists in print are both from Laurel Mills of Lipstick magazine, which closed in March, in the Serious Commentary and Humorous Commentary categories.
The radio division includes 2008 winner WBHM (90.3 FM) in the Public Service category for “Considering Faith” and news director Tanya Ott in the Radio Specialized Reporting category for “Bible Belt Beer Brawl,” “Wilcox County’s Pain at the Pump” and “College Fight Songs.”
Other Alabama finalists:
- Breaking News: “Desperate Search” News Staff, Press-Register (Mobile)
- Feature Writing: “Rumble, Rumble, Rumble” Challen Stephens, The Huntsville Times (Huntsville)
- Breaking Business News: “Sky-High” George Talbot, Jeff Amy, Dan Murtaugh, Press-Register (Mobile)
- Courts and the Law Reporting: “Big Bad Wolf Hunt” Brendan Kirby, Press-Register (Mobile)
- Editorials: “Collection of Editorials” Mac Thrower, Press-Register (Mobile)
- Feature Writing: “Outside Agitators” David Holthouse, Intelligence Report (Montgomery)
- Sports Commentary: “Spaceships and Playoff Systems” Scott Wright, The Post (Centre)
- Courts and the Law Reporting: “Capital Murder Trial Coverage” Scott Wright, The Post (Centre)
- Humorous Commentary: “Series of Columns” Tim Sanders, The Post (Centre)
- Editorials: “Theology of the Dispossessed” Mark Potok, Intelligence Report (Montgomery)
- Graphics: “Skimboarding” Bronwyn Coffeen, Press-Register (Mobile)
- Editorial Cartoons: “J.D. Crowe Editorial Cartoons” J.D. Crowe, Press-Register (Mobile)
- Videography: “Mr. Postman” Brandon Ross, Times Daily (Florence)
Winners will be announced this summer.
Full list of finalists, after the jump …
Posted in In the news
Tagged 59th annual Green Eyeshade Awards, awards, Centre Post, Florence Times Daily, Green Eyeshade Awards, Huntsville Times, Intelligence Report, Laurel Mills, Lipstick magazine, Mobile Press-Register, Montgomery, Society of Professional Journalists, SPJ, Tanya Ott, WBHM, WBHM 90.3 FM