What: Parachute Training Initiative, intensive hands-on multimedia training
Who: Online News Association and Birmingham Association of Black Journalists
When: 8 a.m.-4:30 p.m. Saturday
Where: Hill Alumni Auditorium, University of Alabama at Birmingham, 1400 University Blvd. [map]. The large student parking lot next to the auditorium will be open and free.
Cost: $10, which includes lunch. Register online. For more information and to register, visit the site or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
Sessions: Tailored specifically to the needs of independent, community, nonprofit, displaced and employed journalists, bloggers and students in Alabama. Session titles include …
- Free Tools to Kick Your Site Up a Notch
- Flip to iMovie
- Emerging Business Models
- Harnessing the Power of Social Media
- What You Need to Know about Internet Law
- Jumping from Print to Multimedia Journalism
• • •
Read more Birmingham media updates.
Have a news tip? Let us know!
The Alabama Press Association will hold a “Back to the Basics” editorial workshop led by Jack Smith, former Eufaula Tribune editor. This is a basic newswriting workshop targeted at reporters, whether new to the industry or seasoned journalists, who have not had much formal journalism training or just need a refresher course. This is a good overview for all reporters.
Topics covered include:
- Writing with accuracy, clarity and integrity
- News story basics
- Structuring your writing: “straight” news, inverted pyramid approach and narrative stories
- Writing leads
- Learning how to write for your readers and not your sources
- Fundamentals of good writing
- Overview of AP style
- How to identify compelling or unusual stories readers will talk about
- Feature writing basics
- Photography 101
- The public service mission
- Covering your beat
- Basic interviewing techniques
- Libel basics
Please fill out the registration form and return to APA. A confirmation will be e-mailed with directions once registration is received.
- Cost: $40 (includes lunch)
- Where: Montgomery Advertiser’s Freedom Room, 425 Molton St. [map]
- When: 10 a.m.-3 p.m., Thursday, Nov. 6
- Deadline: Tuesday
- Questions: Bethany Carr, Alabama Press Association, 205-871-7737, email@example.com