The Alabama Pro chapter of the Society of Professional Journalists has selected new officers for 2010:
- President: Dennis Pillion, sports producer, AL.com in Birmingham
- President elect: David Joyner, executive news editor, Community Newspaper Holdings Inc. in Birmingham
- Secretary: Meredith Cummings, director of the Alabama Scholastic Press Association, journalism instructor at the University of Alabama
- Treasurer: Jill Nolin, city/county reporter, Montgomery Advertiser
From left, Pillion, Joyner, Cummings, Nolin
The other current board members are:
- George Daniels, assistant professor of journalism, University of Alabama
- Abigail Morrow, attorney, Taylor Ritter P.C. in Birmingham
- Jenn Rowell (immediate past president), military reporter, Montgomery Advertiser
- Matt Stanley, producer, “Today in Alabama,” WSFA-TV, Montgomery
• • •
Read more Birmingham media updates.
Have a news tip? Let us know!
Posted in In the news
Tagged al.com, Alabama Pro chapter, Alabama Scholastic Press Association, Community Newspaper Holdings Inc., David Joyner, Dennis Pillion, Jill Nolin, Meredith Cummings, Montgomery Advertiser, officer, Society of Professional Journalists, SPJ, University of Alabama
A note from Meredith Cummings, director of the Multicultural Journalism Program at the University of Alabama:
The University of Alabama’s Multicultural Journalism Program is just around the corner. Fifteen students will be on campus from June 12-21 for the annual workshop.
The annual Visiting Professionals Day will be on Wednesday, June 17. I wanted to ask if you would be interested in being a part of this day.
Visiting Professionals arrive around 9 a.m. in Tuscaloosa and spend most of the day hanging out with students in the lab, helping them figure out what they have in the way of a story, and helping them get started with the writing process. (They will have completed their reporting from the Black Belt the day before.) Each student is assigned their own professional to help them write, edit and polish their story.
Each professional also speaks to the group of students briefly about their background. Lunch with the students will be provided during the day, and the work is usually done by mid-afternoon.
If you would be interested in helping us with the special event, please let me know by e-mailing mjp[at]ua.edu or calling 205-348-2772. Thank you so much.